Sunday, July 29, 2007

Required Readings

Warlick, D. (2004) A Future Fiction. Library Media Connection. Retrieved May 26, 2005 from http://davidwarlick.com/ff_article/.

Yoder, M. (1999) The Student WebQuest: A productive and thought-provoking use of the Internet. Learning & Leading with Technology, 26(7), 6-9.52-53. Retrieved January 8, 2004 from http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/myoder/webquest.pdf

I really enjoyed these two articles as they had the same information (Oh, the things you can do with technology) yet presented in such different ways!
Warlick's futuristic look at the possibilities of integrating technology in our classroom was eerie! I had visions of 1984 and what must have been said at the time of its publication-"It can't be done", etc. Look at how those predictions of Orwell are part of our life today, so Warlick may be spot on! I was also drawing some similarities to events in Harry Potter (Maruder's Map keeping an eye on everyone) and the hocus pocus magic that was also used in Warlick's classroom of 2014 (only 7 years away). At first, I must admit, I did not like how the teacher/student relationship was so cold and impersonal but was glad to see, as the story prgressed, that Warlick still sees that as part of the learning process.
Yoder's article of classroom technology was a great "How To" as well as a "Why To" with regards to web quests. I have put this article in my furl so I can use it as a reference when we make our web quests and for future use. I agree this is a wonderful way to allow students a safe and productive use of technology. It truly allows teachers the chance to step into that facilitator role allowing students an opportunity for discovery and choice while still keeping a focus.

No comments: